The principal understands and responds appropriately to the political, social, economic, legal and cultural contexts impacting the school. (PQPG, Alberta Education, 2009, p.6)
a) advocates for the needs and interests of children and youth
b) demonstrates a knowledge of local, national, and global issues and trends related to education
c) assesses and responds to the unique and diverse community needs in the context of the school’s vision and mission
d) advocates for the community’s support of the school and the larger education system.
Click the link to view all posts related to Understanding and Responding to the Larger Societal Context.
I have met this criteria as demonstrated by the following:
- Interviewed on 630 Ched by Chris Scheetz about Quality Learning.
- Presented at University of Alberta on MakerSpace/Innovation Week and Harnessing the Power of Technology in Education
- Presented at Shaping The Future 2015 conference on the topic Integrating Technology to Enhance Health & Wellness
- Created MicroSociety Implementation Plan as a tool/guide to engage students, staff, and community in the process of exploring the potential impact MicroSociety could have for the students in terms of advancing Parkland School Division’s mission, vision and values
- Parkland Village School hosted a Hero Walk For Cancer as a way to fight back against cancer in light of a staff member who is battling cancer
- Present and facilitate a number of parent learning workshops eg. Twitter for Parents Engaged In Education and #GAFE & More
- Presented Building 1-to-1 Learning Communities at the Google Apps for Education Alberta Summit conference
- Created Muir Lake School blog in order to use as a tool to advocate for the community’s support and respond to the community needs in the context of the school’s vision and mission.
- Meet with School Council Chair monthly
- Collaborate to create School Council Admin Presentations to advocate for community support within the school (eg. PED in the classroom)
- Facilitated table group at the Parkland School Division Educational Planning Day