The principal builds trust and fosters positive working relationships, on the basis of appropriate values and ethical foundations, within the school community — students, teachers and other staff, parents, school council and others who have an interest in the school. (PQPG, Alberta Education, 2009, p.4)
a) acts with fairness, dignity and integrity
b) demonstrates a sensitivity to and genuine caring for others and cultivates a climate of mutual respect
c) promotes an inclusive school culture respecting and honouring diversity
d) demonstrates responsibility for all students and acts in their best interests
e) models and promotes open, inclusive dialogue
f) uses effective communication, facilitation, and problem-solving skills
g) supports processes for improving relationships and dealing with conflict within the school community
h) adheres to professional standards of conduct.
Click on the link to view all posts related to Fostering Effective Relationships.
I have met this criteria as demonstrated by the following:
- Worked with Be The Game organization to launch the #kindeverytime initiative
- Shared my leadership values and vision, as well as gathered input for parent workshops at 1st School Council meeting at Parkland Village School.
- Created a video message introducing myself and my values as the new principal at Parkland Village School
- Strive to engage the community by creating the Parkland Village School Blog, Parkland Village School App and social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+)
- Lead and implement 1:1 Technology Initiative at Muir Lake School
- Hosted parent information sessions and presented 1:1 Technology Learning Communities
- Created Muir Lake School blog that allows for multiple authors (staff, students, parents, community members etc.) to contribute in order to enhance effective communication and promote inclusive dialogue.
- Created Muir Lake School Google Calendar allowing for multiple staff to contribute and share important dates with the community in a way that allows for personalization (ie. syncing with phone, adding specific dates to personal calendar etc.) in order to promote effective communication.
- On the first Professional Development day of 2011, we presented our Big Rock Values to the staff in order to cultivate a positive culture for Muir Lake School.
- At the first school council meeting of the 2011 school year, we presented our Big Rock Values to the parents and community members in attendance to proactively improve relationships within the school community.
- Facilitating and participating in the Lighthouse Team to initiate The Leader in Me program into Muir Lake School.